Kevin Nelson was a Trinidadian forward who played with South Melbourne in 2006.
Immediately prior to the 2006 season, Nelson had ambitions of playing in the A-League, after trialling with Queensland Roar, Adelaide United and Sydney FC. Instead he ended up at South Melbourne during the 2006 pre-season, where he showed good form in both the Crazy John's Cup and the Hellenic Cup.
Having missed the opening round win against Heidelberg due to the late approval of his international clearance, Nelson made his official South debut in the 1-0 win against Fawkner-Whittlesea the week after, scoring the game's only goal.
Despite this promising start, Nelson gradually fell out of favour, increasingly being used off the bench. Despite a hat-trick against Kingston City in round 16, an early injury against Melbourne Knights at Somers Street in round 19 which saw him subbed off was the last appearance he would make for the club. The club abruptly terminated his contract two days later, which lead to arbitration.
As a final insult, Nelson's name was left off the commemorative t-shirt put out by the club to celebrate the 2006 championship.
Nelson briefly resumed his playing career in Trinidad and Tobago, before starting a soccer academy in Canada.
Arrived from: ???
Departed to: ???
- Victorian Premier League (2006)
- ↑ http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/sharp-kazu-has-the-edge-in-bid-for-yorkes-spot/2005/11/11/1131578233201.html
- ↑ http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=10900.0;wap
- ↑ http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/States/VIC/2006VCR.html
- ↑ http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20345.0;wap
- ↑ The result of this action is not known to this wiki.
- ↑ https://southmelbournefc.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-kevin-nelson-artefact-wednesday-vpl.html